Don’t get me wrong but I think there is four different types of vintage:
- The popular ones, available everywhere and in quantity (Craig’s list, thrift stores…); the bulk
- The rare pieces, generally handmade and exclusive; the surprises
- The out of circulation ones, no more available; the treasures
- The tribal ethnic exotic ones; the originals
We always look for the three last ones, those are the ones that makes our hearts beats and the ones that you’ll find in the Bazaar 🙂
If you are craving for vintage, we assume that you are a an original soul, a bit anticonformist and that you like to be surrounded with things that you know for sure aren’t in everyone’s houses, right?
Here a little cheat sheet to facilitate your researches IF you like the same styles than us! They are so many different vintage styles and pieces that you might have a thing for a completely different look! But if you like what’s on IVB, you might have kind of the same tastes than us! IF you like things BOLD and COLORFUL, IF you love dinnerware pieces, IF you have kiddies and love everything PLAYFUL and old, IF you have a thing for tribal art, here’s our little help list to find great stuff and easily determine what is an unique treasure and what might just stay on shelves…
- Studio pottery pieces are most of the times exclusives, signed and dated. Whether they were made during the course of a pottery class, own private collection of the crafter or inherited as an estate, you can’t go wrong with them. It’s an easy way to build yourself a pretty original dinnerware set, mix and match patterns, colours and textures and tell a story! Check out our dinnerware collection here and by the way, only the 1/4 of our inventory is listed 😉
- Hand carved wood pieces, from all kind! Statuettes, figurines, tray and platters… Lots of craftsmanship involved! Look for different colour tones, wood grain, craving traces… If it’s been carved from an unique piece of wood, without any trace of glue or attachment, this is even better! You know for sure that you have in hands a valuable piece of art! This is one of the best way to add instant bohemian wanderlust vibes to a room or have a piece that will last in time… Our favorite: Hand carved wooden rack with detailed elephants
- Brand names that are existing since decades… Pyrex and Fisher-Price are good examples. They have been there since so long and have beautiful items, dated directly on their products (Fisher-Price) or easily recognizable as their patterns are representing different eras (Pyrex, people have amazing collections!!!) And classic: Fisher-Price plane and its Little People pilot from 1980
- Ethnic pieces are also a go-to if you like that kind of style! People buy items during their vacations or bring their home decoration with them when they are moving into another country and after a while, they change their decor or turn pages… This is when some people’s left asides becomes other people’s treasures and in these specific situations, this is when you find amazing ethnic art, completely outstanding pieces that you wouldn’t have find otherwise! One of our biggest finds: Ebony African couple
- Find your vibe… When you know what kind of vintage is appealing to you, you know where and what to search. Are you a 40’s or more of a 80’s? Each decade has its own style of course but also its own popular materials: pottery… wicker… wood… porcelain… crochet… embroideries… lace… milk glass… enamel… leather… and its popular colours and patterns: brown… beige… pastels… flowers… bold colours… soft pinks… stripes… patchwork… macrame… animal prints… Find your own niche!
- Check underneath each and every pieces you find, the secret is there… Most of the times, the name written won’t ring any bell to you but it can be gold!
- Do your researches! The best thing to do when shopping for vintage is to have an electronic device with you that will grants you Internet access so you can check right away if this gorgeous little hand painted porcelain bear that you just spotted is a hit or a miss 😉 And sometimes, you have to trust your guts or just go with your feelings cause you can’t find any info but deep inside you know it’s a good one and you already have a place for it in your home 😉
Hope it helps!
Visit us at Isis’ Vintage Bazaar ! 🙂